Sunday, June 21, 2015

For Dad


There really is nothing like the dad and daughter bond. I know for a lot of soon-to-be dads, the thought of a daughter might be terrifying (rightfully so, we women ain't easy) - but in reality it has the potential to be one heck of a special relationship. 



This is my dad. To say we're 'pretty tight' is an understatement. It's been there since I've been little, but it has immensely grown as we've gotten older. When I was 5 or 6, it was getting dressed up (mom would even curl my hair and let me borrow some jewelry!) and sitting on the stairs anxiously awaiting for him to get home from work and take me to Moon Palace for a daddy/daughter date night. When I was 12 it was stealing the show in the dad-n-daughter number at my dance recital. When I was 17 it was working with him every summer and getting to just hang out with him every day. When I was 21, it was visiting doctor after doctor to find a treatment plan to kick cancer's tail. 

Whatever age, whatever stage -I just love being with my dad. 


 

If you know me at all, you know that I think the world of this man. And why wouldn't I? This guy does everything. He's a faithful follower of Christ and a spiritual leader to every one he meets, he is brilliant, he is the funniest person I've ever known, he has a gorgeous singing voice, he writes music, he paints, he builds, he cooks - he really is just one of those people that can do anything. Oh - and he shares my love of Blue Bell. Often we would find a spoon just sitting on the carton in the garage freezer. ...I told you he was smart.


I think one of my favorite things about our relationship are our traditions, of sorts. We watch White Christmas every December (and sing certain songs a certain way), we go to a Rangers game every summer and have a "Dad in Dallas" weekend, we try new healthy recipes, we email exchange songs/lyrics we've written, we go on walks around the neighborhood, we misspell words in texts on purpose, we split the last piece of dessert in half until you literally can't see it anymore...we just get each other. And it's a really cool thing to just 'get' your dad.


I honestly think my dad is one of the greatest people in the world. He just makes everything better. And usually in a simple 5-6 word sentence. I'm so beyond privileged to be his kid. 
 
Happy Father's Day, Dad! I love you dearly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment